Thursday, June 30, 2005

Optimism Is Percolating

This morning I thought to myself, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mary Martha has already returned to work, but Susan has her working at another reception desk just so that I can continue experiencing the misery that is the 19th floor.

But it ended up being a good day; no run-ins with Rude Partner or Snotty Secretary anyway. The big news of the day actually happened downstairs at the Starbucks before work (I was getting a fruit bowl, not a coffee!) when I ran into Judy (Harvard, 2004). Getting advice about law school isn't the only reason I wanted to meet her. I do freelance work for this local magazine (it’s a piece of crap, otherwise I’d link to it here), and for the upcoming issue focusing on immigration, I pitched the idea of an interview with a successful, young attorney who is an immigrant herself. Enter Judy, who’s from Mexico.

I approached her in the Starbucks line -- luckily she was alone (and not one of those crazy-without-coffee people). “You’re Judy, right?” She seemed to vaguely recognize me. I introduced myself as one of the temp receptionists from the firm and then asked her if she was from Mexico (prefacing it with, “this is a random question, but…”). She said yes, I told her about the magazine interview idea...and she agreed to have lunch with me next week! As she ordered her coffee, my mind was already racing ahead to the opening of my article: You might not guess that the American accent ordering a Venti Iced Mocha Latte at Starbucks is that of a Mexican immigrant. But it is. It belongs to Judy Rodriguez, a recently naturalized U.S. citizen and a successful, young attorney at Acewell & Julius… Or something like that.

Well, for once I don't have a woe-is-me conclusion. Things might actually be looking up!

2 Comments:

Blogger Lia said...

I like your opening for your article. Very subtle :-)

Good luck on the interview, Oh Fictional Kim! Fictional interviewer?

July 01, 2005 6:13 AM  
Blogger chirky said...

for some reason, your comments are down on your four most recent entries before this one.

it is a wonder that i have not yet found your website. how is that possible?

i absolutely love it, and hope that you continue to write. also, i'll be reviewing you on Blog Patrol. i hope you don't mind! :)

July 08, 2005 3:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

.